Apples are the “nutritional powerhouses” as they contain the following important nutrients:
Vitamin C – a powerful natural antioxidant that boosts the body’s resistance against infectious agents.
B-complex vitamins (Riboflavin, Thiamin, and Vitamin B-6) – these vitamins maintains the RBCs count in your body and keeps the nervous system in good health.
Dietary Fiber – it helps prevent the amount of bad cholesterol in your blood from rising and protect your body from certain diseases.
Phytonutrients – they help protect the body from the damaging effects of free radicals.
Minerals such as Calcium, Potassium, and Phosphorus.
Reasons to ‘eat an apple a day’ during pregnancy are as follows:
- Protects Your Baby From Asthma and Wheezing: Various international studies and research prove eating apples during pregnancy can protect new born from asthma. It also lowers the risk of your child having any wheezing problem in future.
- Prevents Anaemia: Because apples are rich in iron content, eating it regularly while you are pregnant can help prevent anaemia in new born baby.
- Detoxification: Apples are full of antioxidants so they help in flushing out toxins from your body.
- Improves Digestion: Dietary Fiber promotes the digestion and provides smooth passage.
- Builds Immunity: Richness of Vitamin C in apples help build immunity and ward off a host of infections and diseases for you and your precious baby.
- Boosts Energy: Apples give you instant energy because they contain good amount of Carbohydrates.
- Prevents Heartburn: Heartburn is a common problem of an expectant mother; it can happen because of high blood pressure and acidity. Eating apples will reduce heartburn and keep your heart healthy and strong.
- Strengthens The Bones: Apples are rich source of calcium and eating it on daily basis will give you and your baby stronger bones.
- Strengthens The Lungs: Apples are rich in antioxidants and therefore good for your lungs. Having it throughout your pregnancy, will keep any breathing related issues at bay.
I believe the above mentioned pointers are enough to encourage you to have an apple a day even when you are not pregnant. So ‘Go and grab an apple’ right away!
There are no side-effects of eating apples during pregnancy but as we know excess of anything is bad so do keep a check on your apple intake. There’s a very old proverb on apples – “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”, addressing the health effects of the fruit, dates from 19th century Wales according to Caroline Taggart, author of “An Apple a Day: Old-Fashioned Proverbs and Why They Still Work.” The original phrase, Taggart said, was, ‘‘Eat an apple on going to bed, and you’ll keep the doctor from earning his bread.” Although, here we suggest eating apples to keep both ‘to-be-mommies’ and ‘babies’ in good health condition, not keeping the doctors from earning their bread and butter (rather making their job easier). 😀